Go down
View user profile

Layout To Respect Grainline

on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 pm
Hi everyone,

The latest release (0.6.0.1) of Valentina looks fantastic, and the newly added functionality and improvements come at a much needed time for me as I have now shifted exclusively to Valentina for all my pattern making.

A critical component of apparel manufacturing, which can be addressed by Valentina, is marker making. Simply, a marker is a large (usually the width of the fabric) piece of paper with all the required pattern pieces laid out as close to each other as possible (to minimize waste), rotated to align the grainline required for the pattern pieces. This is then placed on top of the fabric and used as the template for cutting out all the required pieces.

This has been brought up previously by numerous users (as late as 2016 I believe) but unfortunately is still not a feature.

I can see that in the file, vlayoutpiece.cpp there is a method, FindGrainlineGeometry, which at a glance looks to rely on grainline pins to discern the amount of rotation in a detail during layout creation stage. There are other open-source nesting tools out there, but unfortunately they were created for different material fabrication that does not have such a dependency on grainlines.

Will the feature to incorporate grainline dependency be released into Valentina in the near future?

Kind regards,

John

Admin
View user profilehttp://valentinaproject.forumotion.com

Re: Layout To Respect Grainline

on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:49 pm
Hi John,

Will the feature to incorporate grainline dependency be released into Valentina in the near future?

Implementing grainline dependency itself should not be hard to achieve. But layout quality itself is far from perfect for fabric. Good commercial implementation cost a lot. I cannot promise anything. I understand importance of this feature, but i need to pay my bills. Plus my time is limited. But there is plan in my head how to improve layout generation. How soon i will decide to implement this feature hardly depend of importance of this feature for me. Sorry, but for now it is less important for me. I hope you will understand.
View user profile

on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:29 pm
Hi dismine,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that Valentina is a large project with a large number of interests and use cases. Nonetheless, I hope that an opportunity arises in the near future where this feature (or improved layout generation) get its time in the spotlight Smile

It is re-assuring to hear that you have given it thought though, and it goes without saying that what you and the development community have done with Valentina is nothing short of amazing! I get questions all the time at school about it and there is an increasing interest from the patternmaking industry for these open-source and regularly updated tools.

Kind regards,

John

Admin
View user profilehttp://valentinaproject.forumotion.com

on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 pm
I get questions all the time at school about it and there is an increasing interest from the patternmaking industry for these open-source and regularly updated tools.

I am happy to hear this. But unfortunately not many people come to me directly. Thus i have feeling that no so many people are actually interested. Smile Don't forget to say them that if you wait, you will never get tools you need.

Nonetheless, I hope that an opportunity arises in the near future where this feature (or improved layout generation) get its time in the spotlight

Soon i plan to publish roadmap for Valentina 0.7.0. I have feeling that this feature will be there.
View user profile

on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:42 pm
I am happy to hear this. But unfortunately not many people come to me directly. Thus i have feeling that no so many people are actually interested. Smile Don't forget to say them that if you wait, you will never get tools you need.

Actually, one of my teachers also uses it for her custom work outside of her full-time teaching profession. There is a large (and growing) interest in this program!

Soon i plan to publish roadmap for Valentina 0.7.0. I have feeling that this feature will be there.

Now I'm the happy one cheers

Just quickly on the topic of layouts/nesting, these two references may be of interest to anyone looking at nesting generation:
https://svgnest.com/ (1st iteration, web based)
https://deepnest.io/ (2nd iteration, local application)

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum