Go down
View user profile

Are my updates going to continue to be Valentina or Seamly? Would prefer Valentina, on this fork

on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:28 am
I am on linux and I update via command line.

Will my version continue to be this fork of Valentina? Or will it be Seamly?

Does it even matter?

Thank you for your courage to maintain to this fork of the project.
Admin
View user profilehttp://valentinaproject.forumotion.com

Re: Are my updates going to continue to be Valentina or Seamly? Would prefer Valentina, on this fork

on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:01 pm
Hi,

frippingtrippingblipping wrote:Will my version continue to be this fork of Valentina? Or will it be Seamly?

You did not mentioned you Linux distributive. But in general both forks have separate channels of distribution. And since i am original developer of Valentina and maintainer and only i had access to this infrastructure  Valentina will continue to be distributed over this channel. So, answer is yes, you will continue getting Valentina.

frippingtrippingblipping wrote:Does it even matter?

Two projects share the same code base. So, in this way they are equal. Most commentators who answer this question don't see big difference. Don't listen them. The more time passed since the split the more difference became.

Compare to another fork this project has core developer. Watch closely their forum and you will notice it for yourself. Currently they struggle to find someone who can write a code. Of course i know this, but they tries to hide this fact from users. Even their leader and maintainer doesn't know C++. Are you sure you want to stuck with project in "comma"? We continue developing and releasing new features and fix bugs. How many test builds were published by another side? None. Yes, they made a release 0.6, but it mostly based on common code base without bug fixes were encountered after the split. Valentina contains all useful features from both forks. Of course, right now their code looks very stable and contains not so many critical bugs. They are very proud of this fact and don't hesitate to repeat it. Know, this also means they do not develop anything new. As i said i am original developer of Valentina project. And almost 99% of code passed through my mind and my hands. So, this Valentina fork share original idea behind it.

From technical perspective with Valentina you can open any file produced by another side. Opposite is not true. With our pattern format is not always possible to just ignore not supported feature and still be able to open a pattern. So, if you are seeing this idea from another side, know they lie. This way will not work for you.

As developer i expect to see technical questions and discussions. Respect people with technical skills and knowledge. People who use Valentina for professional activity are very welcome here. Unfortunately i cannot help you with pattern making and can't teach you it. For this you probably should find another forum or group.

Unfortunately very probably if you join another side i will decide not to list you. For me this step is good sign that you are not interested in professional use, cannot see real state of things and are very easy confused by PR company against this fork and me. I don't force you to select a side, i force you to think.

Nevertheless, i still open to bug reports and answer questions about using Valentina.
View user profile

Re: Are my updates going to continue to be Valentina or Seamly? Would prefer Valentina, on this fork

on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:21 pm
I have degree in CS. I am actually starting to be more interested in contributing code, where possible. I am patternmaker right now for the last 10 years, and I havent found an open source project that I have found engaging enough to consider contributing or inspecting code until Valentina.

With this new forking, I am very interested to give my talents to this fork of the project, instead of to "Seamly" which is... not very well thought out. It is well intentioned, but I think as they move forward, it is going to collapse due to poor execution. So tell me how I can help.

After all, if the code they put out doesn't work as they promote it, people will throw out the entire effort as a whole, eliminating what progress has been made.

As a patternmaker, I see this all the time! It is no different than developer!

Patternmaker: "Don't send this pattern into production. It does not fit correctly."
Designer: "I WILL SEND IT TO PRODUCTION, I THINK IT IS PRETTY!!"
Customer: "I like the looks of this Designer, but the clothes DOES NOT FIT!! So, I will not buy more from this Designer."
Designer: "Why am I not selling clothing! I am losing money!!!"
Patternmaker: "OK, well, I quit. I told you the pattern was not ready and it didn't fit. You chose to move ahead anyway. Since you are not listening to me, I am taking my skills elsewhere. Enjoy being poor, bitch."
Designer: moves into a cardboard box on the street, using clothes that do not fit as pillow
Admin

on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:50 am
frippingtrippingblipping wrote:So tell me how I can help.

What is important for you? What do you miss?
View user profile

on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 am
What's most important, to me, is to have a LINUX patternmaking suite that can integrate via command line with other utilities. This is my primary reason for using Valentina and promoting it.

Linux, just in general, is incredibly powerful -- across ALL distributions-- as a tool for true open source fashion. I first used linux 15 years ago and I've never used Windows or Mac on my machine I owned since.

I think it's important in the future to be able to add artifacts to each pattern-object/pattern-piece. What I mean by "Artifacts" is a catch-all term for things like Trim placement, Button placement marks, tailor's tack marks over each dart, things like this.

I'm very not interested in "dumbed-down" software, which is why I like Valentina, and why I see more potential in this fork of the project.
Admin

on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:36 am
frippingtrippingblipping wrote:I think it's important in the future to be able to add artifacts to each pattern-object/pattern-piece. What I mean by "Artifacts" is a catch-all term for things like Trim placement, Button placement marks, tailor's tack marks over each dart, things like this.

Sorry, i still don't know all definitions. Can you tail me more about "Trim placement" and "tailor's tack marks over each dart"? As to button placement marks, we have this feature. It called Place label.
View user profile

on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:52 pm
I think he refers to markers which are required by garnment industry.
Admin

on Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:22 am
Probably.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum